Sunday, October 22, 2017

Four Magical Phrases Every Music Teacher Should Know (and Use!)

Teacher talk... Eduspeak... Whatever you want to call it, there are some life-saving phrases that every music teacher should know - and use! It's almost magical how well they work!


Here are four (or five!) phrases I find myself repeating over and over in my class. Hopefully they will be helpful in your classroom!
"Now you sing!" 

This is one of the most basic phrases you can use to remind the students (and yourself!) that you won't be singing with them. 

Most beginning music teachers sing with their students for one main reason: we love to sing! It's an honest mistake that can be detrimental to vocal chords. It's best to model the song and echo-sing phrases, instead of singing along with students. 

It not only helps voice strain, it allows you to step back from the sound and listen closely. When I started really listening to my students, I began to hear wrong notes and intonation issues that needed addressing.

The first time you allow the students to sing without you, there will be a natural dip in the sound as they realize that you're serious and that they will have to carry the sound. And they do! 

I use this phrase a lot in Kindergarten and 1st grade and of course when I'm at a new school, while I'm training the students with non-verbal conducting cues. 

"Who's Going to be First?"

I use this phrase all the time in all levels of music! Usually, it is when we're getting ready to transition and I need students to move more quickly. Every time we are stacking up Unifix cubes, I say this and it's like magic! The students suddenly move with purpose and energy! 

Another way to use this phrase is when you're picking a student to go first. You've never seen students sit up straighter or "catch a bubble" faster than when you are trying to find someone to go first. 
"Tell me Later"

This phrase is a gentle way to let Kindergarteners know that it's not appropriate to share their story at that time. Has anyone else had a class derailed by the sweet stories of 5-year-olds? Teehee.

Before I learned this phrase, it happened daily. And of course, when one student shared, the rest of the students would raise their hands (or just start talking! LOL) and want to share as well. I've learned to let them know that I care, but that we won't have time for storytime during music every day.

"Repeat after me!" 

I have never found a phrase more useful for echo-singing than this one! I literally make them repeat that phrase, too! "Repeat after me!" "Repeat after me!" And then off we go!


It almost completely cuts out the stubborn few that refuse to wait until I model. I use it for giving instructions, echo-singing phrases, or just to get their attention! It's magical!


Bonus! 
"No Big Deal! Maybe Next Time!"

This is one of the most-used phrases in every Kindergarten class of mine! I blogged about it here - check out how I use this to curb those super-sad/kinda-mad faces when they don't get a turn.

And the best part?!?!?!? Now I don't have to play every game 47,953 times! Hallelujah!

4 comments:

  1. "Wait 5 minutes" when the potty parade requests get started 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAASSS!! If one gets to go, it never ends!!!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I would add: show me, don't tell me! I use this daily. If I ask I guess or no question I'll say thumbs up or thumbs down show me don't tell me and then ask the question. This eliminates lots and lots of noise. Or if I ask how something feels awesome to show me on their face and show me don't tell me. This helps keep the class on the rails and not all over the place after trying to answer a question.

    ReplyDelete